The foundation for a successful call starts immediately upon your
arrival. Building trust quickly and authentically will assist you in:
- Assessing medical needs.
- Understanding goals of care.
- Navigating decisions and meeting expectations.
- Supporting the patient and family.
- Delivering quality healthcare.
For additional information about building a relationship, see Module 3, Explaining clinical information and what to expect - Chapter 1, Communication essentials.
By the end of this module, you will be able to:
- Highlight strategies to
build relationships and foster trust with patients and families.
- Describe the key components of a holistic assessment, including addressing social, emotional and medical needs.
NOTE to Learners:
These modules have been developed to apply to students as well as veteran paramedics.
Throughout the modules, you’ll find suggested phrases to use in conversations
with patients and families. Some of the language isn’t common to paramedic
practice. Integrating this new language in palliative care calls will help you
establish relationships, have difficult conversations and provide support.