Chapter 1: Myth: Nothing more can be done
Consider this approach for supporting family members:
- Listen some more.
Feeling heard is a key factor in patient and family experience and satisfaction.
I’m here for you. Please tell me what’s going on for you right now.
The small things are big things
The little things you do to show compassion and kindness do help. These include:
- Making eye contact.
- Including family in hands on care.
- Speaking softly and slowly.
- Taking time to hear stories.
- Expressing feelings.
- Asking about the person, their likes and preferences.
- Maintaining a calm environment.