Module 5 - Challenging situations
Chapter 4: Pediatric calls
When a child is to be medically transported, a number of steps are recommended to support and care for both patient and family members.
- Arrange for one or both parents to accompany the child.
- Wrap the child in a favourite blanket and bring along any comfort objects such as stuffed toys.
- Give all family members a chance to say goodbye to the child before leaving.
- Assure parents that siblings are welcome at the hospital. Remind them that it’s okay if siblings don’t want to go, and it’s best not to force them.
- If the siblings aren’t accompanying the child and parents to the hospital, ensure they’re looked after by a responsible adult. This is important even if they’re older and able to look after themselves.
- If one parent is travelling in another
vehicle, find a friend or family member to drive them if possible.