Module 9 - For families and friends of paramedics: Providing support
For families and friends of paramedics: Providing support
Chapter 3: Impact of the job
Signs of stress
If a paramedic becomes overly preoccupied with traumatic events from work, this can negatively impact their thoughts, feelings, behaviour, relationships, and job performance. Here are a few indications that they may be struggling:
- Irresponsible behaviour.
- Quitting extracurricular activities (e.g. sports activities and community groups).
- Rejecting physical and emotional closeness.
- Exhibiting a short fuse (e.g. snapping at the children).
- Withdrawing and isolating from colleagues.
- Expressing general dissatisfaction with work, family or life.
- Over-involvement in details; trying to be