Chapter 5: Actions you can take
Taking a preventive approach to managing stress is almost always best. Supporting the paramedic to take time to recover from the strains of the job can help with work-life balance and prevent burnout. Early intervention prevents issues before they do serious damage to relationships. Prevention takes many forms. For example, the paramedic in your life may benefit if you encourage these activities:
- Regular date nights to nourish the relationship.
- Regular outings with family and friends.
- Productive use of time off (getting out of bed and off the couch!)
- A meaningful hobby.
- Regular exercise or joining a sports team.
- Outdoor activities.
- Socializing with people who aren’t paramedics.
- Setting limits to other off-hours jobs.